Friday, February 15, 2013

Civic Minding Day 1

Finally got the resources pooled together to start fixing my old Honda, which is a relief. Watching the net forces of entropy chip away at it while it sat in the driveway unused was chipping away at me, too. It feels good to be crawling in/around it and mending things. And boy howdy does it need a lot fixed. The short list of major stuff includes changing the oil, changing the coolant, replacing all four tires (one has a knot and I'm pretty certain all four are chopped), changing both CV axles, front brake rotars, and the brakes themselves.

To be honest, I had done some work on it previously over the past few weeks, here and there, but that mainly involved getting it cleaned out and detailed (I like my cars to be clean). Today was the first day of actual honest to god repairs.

That being said, I didn't really do much today other than buy parts and figure out how to get things done and in the process of doing that, figure out exactly what tools I'll need to work on the harder tasks. Going to need a breaker bar and a floor jack, for sure, but also a good ratcheting socket wrench and a few socket heads couldn't hurt. However! My dad's extended me an open invitation to raid his tool shed for tools I might need on this project, so I'll check what he has first before making my purchases.

Today I changed the air filter and windshield wipers, polished the oxidation off of the headlights (I can see!), and figured out I'm woefully ill-equipped to remove the two bolts that hold the muffler in place. Ugh. Those are rusted in place, so that might be something a mechanic's shop gets to do for me. We'll see after I get better tools. The main problem is getting the leverage right, which I might get with several larger wrenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment