Wednesday, May 22, 2013

EDC Bags

I've always been a firm believer in being prepared for the slings and arrows of modern life, which can range from minor inconveniences like waiting in an office to (albeit extremely rarely) full blown emergencies. To that end I try to carry things on my person that I'll find useful the vast majority of the time, and a set of additional gear in an EDC bag.

However, in the environment I currently labor under, carrying a bag around without raising suspicions as to the bag's contents is exceedingly difficult. Also, a grown man my age can't wear a fanny pack without advertising to all in the know that he's carrying something significant. Add into the mix thanks  most small backpacks and over the shoulder bags are "tactical", so they are kind of a giveaway too.

Comparatively speaking, it's easier to carry EDC gear around if you work at a place where messenger bags are relatively common, or at a university where such bags and backpacks are likewise common. Not so much at my current job, where my bag might get rarely searched to help prevent employee theft.

I'm at the point where I need to reconsider how and what to carry, based on my experience over the past year, and taking into account the types of conditions I'm most likely to encounter in the span between home and work, as the distance between the two being used as a radius initiated from my house would describe my range of movement on a daily basis 99% of the time. I'll type up what I come up with later, but I should be approaching a result by the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment