Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Top 10 Survival Capabilities

Some things to bear in mind; I'm not a survival expert or some sort of guru. I'm not a military trained badass of any kind. I haven't spent extensive time in varied climates. However, these are my opinions and thus far in the relative wilds of North Carolina they have served me well. This list is subject revision as I gain experience, but I believe that it covers the basics pretty well.

1.) The will to live
2.) The ability to think clearly under stress
3.) The ability to create fire using modern and primitive techniques
4.) The ability to create an edged implement
5.) The ability to create a brush shelter out of found materials
6.) The ability to filter & purify water using a variety of methods
7.) The ability to create cordage and tie a variety of knots (rope craft)
8.) The ability to create and set simple snares and traps, and fish
9.) The ability to provide emergency first aid and preventative care
10.) The ability to signal for rescue using both modern and primitive techniques

This list is in a loose order of priority, but priorities have a way of changing based on actual field conditions. If you can signal for rescue, and expect it relatively quickly then you should do so. Active bleeding should be stopped prior to doing anything etc. Just use this list as a guideline and think for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment