Saturday, January 14, 2012

Learn From My Fail: Gloves for Work & Survival

I'm sitting here typing this post with one hand for one reason; the last time I went outside to work with one of my larger knives I didn't put on my work gloves, and boy did I pay for that mistake! I was batoning some wood in the back yard when my knife slipped and rapped my knuckle, splitting it down to the bone and partially severing a tendon.

I own a pair of heavy duty work gloves that use a combination of leather and neoprene molding over the knuckle joints to protect the hands while maintaining manual dexterity. It's hard to say just how much protection my gloves would have afforded me in this instance, but I very much doubt that I would have sustained a more serious injury with them on.

Now, I have and will continue to have difficulty undertaking even mundane tasks until my hand has properly healed and full range of movement is restored to that finger. This may take months, and in the meantime my ability work and protect my household has become very limited. Unload a 1911 and try locking the slide back with one hand to see what I mean. If we were in a TEOTWAWKI situation when I sustained my injury, I can only imagine how this would be without proper treatment. I cannot state this enough; having a hand out of commission is a huge deal and should be avoided at all costs!

Folks; gloves are not expensive, but the function they serve is invaluable. Buy and wear good quality gloves when working with anything sharp!

No comments:

Post a Comment