Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Politics; The Ultimate Peril of Academic Ambition

It's not really a secret that I teach Geomorphology at the University level, but what courses and where I'll leave up to the fickle anonymity of the internet. There's not a code of silence that you have to sign along with your first born child and a year of Associate Professor salary in order to work in academe, but there might as well be. If your political views are right of center, for example, it would probably be best to heed the advice of your first amendment lawyer and shut your damn mouth before your political opinions wreck your chances of getting hired by a left-leaning department (pro-tip; most departments lean so far left that they look like Michael Jackson berating a dropped penny on the floor).

Damn you penny!

Got to walk a fine line when it comes to politics, then. I mostly keep my opinions to myself, but participate in like minded groups when I can (quietly). I can pitch group membership of innocuously named groups easily enough without getting myself in trouble, but getting ostracized for loudly being pro-2nd is a good way to get off tenure track. Then again, that's what this blog is for; it's a pressure release valve for things I can't say on campus.

At least until I get tenure, then I can say whatever the hell I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment