Friday, November 30, 2012

Incoming; Paper Reviews

Do you know what the difference between talent and skill is? Talent is raw ability, unmodified by external forces. It's your natural capability to do a task. Lots of folk skate through life on talent alone. I've been, and somewhat still am, guilty of that too.

Skill, though, is different. Skill is the time spent hammering away at your craft, countless hours of grinding away at obtaining the mastery required to talk with the people at the upper echelons in your field without feeling like an idiot. The Imposter Syndrome, which I might have talked about previously, is a symptom of being aware that you are approaching the limits of how far talent alone can take you. The people that get though life on skill are the ones that are willing to chain themselves to the treadmill and die, if necessary, in order to improve.

I've been internalizing something over the past few weeks, which is that while I am good enough, what I know is insufficient to the task. So I'm going to work harder at it. I'm going to find some papers and chapters that are good and talk about them here. I'm going to gear back up and get in there and swing again. I really doubt I'll get many hits through google this way, but that's alright. Maybe one of these days my peers will frequent this site, and they'll see there's more to me than just reading a few books and being pissed at politicians (and who isn't?).

No comments:

Post a Comment