Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Disconnect from Facebook

No, no, I'm not doing the modern equivalent of a call for help by getting rid of my Facebook account, as tempting as that is sometimes. No, I'm experimenting with a Chrome extension called "Disconnect", which blocks tracking cookies from a few major sites (Facebook, Digg, Twitter etc.) in order to increase your online security.

So far I'm liking it, in the abstract sense that it *feels* better, but I'm not sure it's actually doing anything without getting to see some file at Facebook HQ which notes a sudden drop in their capability to track my movements online.

Ultimately, your best bet for forever increasing your online security is just to not be online, but which I might try as a social experiment at some point. For now, at least the Disconnect extension seems to be helping a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment