Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

I tried to read this book. I really tried.  I struggled through trying to read this book for a month. A month! And, even after a month, I couldn't read more than a third of the book because it was so boring. Hell, I even got through Patriots by John Rawles, and that's saying something.

Personally, I feel that I was misled. All the reviews and conversations that I had with people told me that if I had enjoyed reading Walden, or Sand County Almanac, then I'd *love* this book! Bull. This wasn't the work of a scientific mind, musing about things natural.. this was the work of a stray liberal arts major, trying to explain some weird ass form of neo-buddhism under the pretense of being a throw back to the naturalists of yore because she spends most of her time outside.

I stopped at the point where she was just going though this run-on metaphor about wanting to exist in a state of perpetual awareness of the moment. I just got sick of reading about how she lives for "facing upstream". Ugh.

On a scale of 1 to 100, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek is about a 25. I can tell Annie Dillard is indeed smart, and the book itself is technically written well with very few mistakes editing wise.. but I also don't think this book was written for me. That is to say; I don't think that scientists or naturalists are this book's core audience. She spends way too much time wallowing in metaphor instead of just speaking plainly.

No comments:

Post a Comment