Friday, September 28, 2012

Register to Vote!

Today I finally hit the item on my To-Do list labeled "Update Voter Registration". All things considered, it was pretty easy but not as easy as it could have been.. Nor as secure.

Going to the "Look up my registration information", all one needs to know is a person's full name, their date of birth, and the county of residence to get back a full mailing address, voter ID #, and their Polling Place. That security is pretty slack, and I think this could be updated. At the minimum, this information could be emailed to the user where it's "kind of" private (google goes through your email to tailor search results to your personality, so arguably your personal information is indeed floating around someplace in the cloud). A better version would be to create a secure server where only the user could access the information after creating an account and verifying their ID.

Then, changing your voter registration in state would be a relatively simple process of updating your account. C'mon NC, get with the times!
--------------------
Rant aside, I'm glad that I got my registration updated.. I think the deadline to update for the upcoming election cycle is early October, so it was due. Hopefully I'll have my voter registration card well before the November general election.

I'll probably spend an update sometime soon going into the pros and cons of each candidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment